A bomb threat forced a United Airlines plane to make an emergency landing in Ireland (UAL)
- United Airlines Flights 971 made an emergency landing in Shannon, Ireland on Monday.
- Reports indicate a bomb threat was discovered on board the Boeing 767-300. According to reports, the threat was found inscribed in the bathroom of the plane. The incident was referred to as a “potential security concern.”
- Flight 971 was en route from Rome to Chicago when it diverted to Shannon around 1:44 pm local time.
- There were reportedly more than 200 passengers and crew on board the plane.
- Authorities are conducting additional screening of all luggage as well as interviews of the flight’s passengers and crew.
- United Airlines has canceled the final leg of the trip to Chicago and is working to find flights to Chicago for its stranded passengers.
A United Airlines plane was forced to make an emergency landing in Shannon, Ireland on Monday after a bomb threat was found on board.
In a statement to Business Insider, United Airlines said Flight 971 decided to land in Ireland following a “potential security concern.” There were reportedly more than 200 passengers and crew on board the plane.
Flight 971 was en route from Rome, Italy to Chicago, Illinois when it chose to divert to Shannon, Ireland around 1:44 pm local time on Monday.
After landing, the flight was directed to a remote area of the taxiway where it was met by law enforcement and rescue personnel, the Irish Times reported.
According to reports by CBS News and The Irish Times, a bomb threat was discovered inscribed on a surface inside one of the Boeing 767-300’s bathrooms.
As a result, authorities are conducting additional baggage screening as well as interviews of the 218 passengers and crew on board the flight.
The Irish Times also reports that authorities are taking handwriting samples from passengers if an effort to see if there is a match.
No injuries have been reported.
The flight’s passengers will spend the night in Ireland and continue their trip Tuesday afternoon on board United Airlines Flight 2825.
NOW WATCH: THE KRISTIN LEMKAU INTERVIEW: JPMorgan Chase’s CMO explains how she deals with disruption on two fronts at once, why she’s moving some ad dollars back to TV, and why it matters what your credit card feels like
Read the full article from it’s original source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/united-made-emergency-landing-after-bomb-threat-2018-6